Accounts of an L.A. native's favorite places to shop, eat, live and just wander in the town where anything's possible. ;)




Monday, October 22, 2007

Trendy L.A.

If you live in L.A. or the vicinity, I hope you and your family are safe from the fires. It's quite scary. >.<


I spent Saturday with a friend from out of town. We went to some of the trendier spots in LA, I guess you could say. :)

We had lunch at BLD (stands for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, cleverly enough), a new spot (for me) that I am growing to like. I think they have marvelous French toast, and their bacon is almost as delicious as The Four Seasons, my absolute favorite place for Applewood smoked bacon. There are times where I yearn for it. But that's for another day. BLD also has these awesome meat and cheese plates that are so yum. They have a wonderful selection of meats and cheeses as appetizers, that are served on marble slabs.

For dessert, we stood in line at Sprinkles for about half an hour. Of all the times I've had Sprinkles, I've never really had to stand in line for it. There was the time I actually visited the shop, after dropping off a repair at Arturo's (down the street from Sprinkles at 9643 Santa Monica Blvd.), the best place to get your designer bags and shoes repaired ever. Most times, my experience with Sprinkles has been reserved for my office, where clients have them delivered as thank you gifts. While I do agree that they are tasty, I still think that Doughboy's and Toast make a meaner Red Velvet. Either way, I love the decor of Sprinkles -- my favorite pink and brown color combination, the simplicity of the design, and the cute little round (tasteless) candies atop the perfectly frosted cupcakes. I had a Red Velvet and brought a Banana Dark Chocolate home for my love. Hmm. Looking at their site, I must go back on Tuesdays for the orange flavored cupcakes. That sounds divine.

After dessert, we cruised over to Robertson Blvd. for some hip LA shopping. This is where the likes of Lindsay, Britney, and Paris can be seen shopping. Of course, the day when I bring out of town guests to the area, none of the celebs were to be seen -- only a lone paparazzo. One of my favorite shops on Robertson Blvd. is WeSC - We are the Superlative Conspiracy. It's the hipper, younger brand of J. Lindberg. I love their urban chic style and their winter wear that doesn't look too buttoned-up and formal. Oddly enough, the shop I frequent the most on Robertson Blvd. isn't one of the 3 Kitsons, the Lisa Kline, or even the very many accessories shops (and I love accessories), but it's American Apparel, sadly enough. I've finally caved after so many years. I love the solid Summer tees and how they fit me perfectly, both the Deep V for men and the crew neck women's. I love the many colors that are available, and I can say that AA makes its way into my wardrobe at least twice a week. You can't have too much of a good thing, right? ;)

2 comments:

Jaed said...

Yum-o!

SARA said...

Qi finally had a red velvet cupcake from Toast on Sunday. I should ask him what he thought of it.

And BLD has excellent french toast?! I am there!