Accounts of an L.A. native's favorite places to shop, eat, live and just wander in the town where anything's possible. ;)




Monday, October 15, 2007

Cuban delight

Happy Monday!

So many food adventures last week, but one place really comes to mind, especially since I found an excuse to go there two and a half weeks in a row. Why? Because it's cheap, it's quick, and it's absolutely yum. Note: an affinity to garlic and onions is sort of a must.

Versailles is one of those places that you can go in for a quick bite and still indulge and enjoy. I've been going to this place ever since I was in college, and I still love it. (Speaking of places I've been to since I was in college, I've just thought of so many other goodies -- will have to follow up with that later). I know it's not one single restaurant, but I've been to about 3 of the 5 locations.

One thing to note is that most of the dishes here are covered and smothered in their delicious garlic sauce, topped with onions galore. I am not a raw onion fan, and I only like garlic in small, indistinguishable doses (hard to believe since I'm Thai), but I really love their dishes. Their most famous is their half chicken, the #6 Famoso Pollo Versailles. I really like the 7a, which is the chicken breast version of the half chicken. Most meat dishes are served with rice, black beans and plantains.

Their tamales, one of my most favorite foods, are also delicious, smothered lovingly in the garlic sauce and topped with onions. I've recently been adventurous and tried the shredded roast pork sandwich -- the Pan con Lechon. It is the most amazing, delicious pork I've had since pulled pork and I am in love with pulled pork. I'll admit, it's a little bit on the salty side, but the mixture of the onion-garlic taste with the crispy-soft Cuban bread was so YUM.

A good hearty meal here is also not too expensive -- $10-15, depending on the drinks, appetizers, etc. A pretty good deal, I'd say, which is how I thought of this place. My friend and I wanted to meet for dinner but are both on a budget. We both walked away stuffed, with another meal of leftovers. :)

No comments: