Accounts of an L.A. native's favorite places to shop, eat, live and just wander in the town where anything's possible. ;)




Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Comfort Food - Take One

What is your favorite comfort food?

I'm a big noodle person (aside from Pho, sorry folks), and one of my favorites is ramen, the staple Japanese noodle soup. And I'm not talking about that dehydrated Nissin pack that you pick up in the supermarket. After visiting so many great ramen places in the San Francisco Bay area (more on that later), I've re-discovered my obsession for ramen. The perfect bowl of ramen welcomes you with the fragrant, hot broth that has the perfect combination of flavors. The noodles, my favorite, are so unique, depending on where you go and what type of ramen you order. It should also include the most tender, melt in your mouth chasu pork, and for ultimate authenticity, the most perfectly timed tamago (egg) that you've ever had. It is neither soft-boiled nor hard boiled, but perfectly...yolky :)

One of my favorite places in L.A. isn't in Little Tokyo or Torrance, but it's in the food court of the Mitsuwa Marketplace, on the corner of Venice Blvd. and Centinela Ave. in the Venice/Santa Monica area.

Small miso ramen with side of rice with leek

While Santouka lacks in my favorite egg, the chasu is definitely tender, the broth is extremely flavorful and the noodles are perfectly textured. Slurping this makes me happy. :)

2 comments:

Elliot Kotek said...

I'm obsessed with Mitsuwa - buy sushi fish there and slice it at home - the yellowtail is delicious (but stay clear of the "frozen" albacore unless you're prepared to wait a while). I've seen so many interesting people there, from Santino Rice (Project Runway, anyone?) to local Venice celebs. Next stop for you is just down the road... Alibi room (@Centinela on Washington) for Kogi korean tacos, no need to chase the truck anymore.

Taya said...

I MUST try that and see what all the fuss is about. They parked outside our office one day and I just did not have the energy to go stand in line with 150 other people....